This here pasta salad is a potluck favorite because it’s simple to prepare and oh-so flavorful. Of course you don’t have to share it with others. It makes an equally perfect side for family dinners or turn it into lunch by enjoying it with your favorite soup or green salad.
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta, cooked, drained & rinsed
- 1 14oz can white or red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 3/4 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 200g feta cheese, cubed
- 1 French shallot, finely chopped (or a 1/4 red onion)
- 4-5 slices sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 10-12 leaves fresh basil, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- A small squeeze honey (for babies under 12 months, skip the honey; it’s dangerous)
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pasta, beans, tomatoes, feta, shallots, sun-dried tomatoes and basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing: olive oil, vinegar, honey and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the the pasta mixture and stir to combine. Garnish with more fresh basil and enjoy!
For a gluten-free and protein-packed variation, try quinoa instead of orzo. Simply follow the package directions for cooking this mighty seed and don’t rinse!