When us kids were little, our next door neighbor would sometimes babysit. She ran a tight ship but we didn’t mind because man, did she know her way around the kitchen! Our favorite meal: egg planets (aka: souped-up scrambled eggs on an English muffin). But hey, kids are simple creatures and we would request this breakfast specialty morning, day and night. 20 years later I still love egg planets, and yes I still make it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mrs. Anne, this one’s for you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- a splash of whole milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 whole wheat English muffins, halved & toasted
- Toppings of your choice (like cheese, avocado, tomatoes, spinach, etc.)
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the green onions, red pepper and tomato and saute a minute or 2.
- Whisk together the eggs and the milk and season with salt & pepper. Add to the skillet and cook until eggs are done. Serve and enjoy with your favorite toppings.
Eggs are a Paigelet favorite and perfect for rushed weeknight dinners. They’re also awesome for brunch-hosting because an extra large batch can serve a lot of people while dirtying few dishes. You can easily make this recipe vegan by substituting eggs with extra firm tofu and ditching the milk. Just be sure to add a generous sprinkling of nutritional yeast for a rich umami burst of flavor.