It’s Monday night and time to get tactical in the kitchen. Enter the smokey tofu BLT sandwich: served on a toasted wholewheat English muffin and with tofu instead of bacon, this weeknight go-to is as yummy as it is healthy. Plus, it takes only 10 minutes to put on the table.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 210g package smoked tofu (try Soyganic), cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- Fresh cracked salt & pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 English Muffins, toasted
- Baby spinach
- Tomatoes, cut into rounds
- cucumber, cut into rounds
- Mayonnaise (use a vegan version if you prefer)
- Dijon mustard
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of tofu strips with nutritional yeast, salt & pepper and cayenne if using. Drop into the hot pan and add the maple syrup; sear each side for about 1 minute, until golden and crispy.
- Build your sandwich using condiments, veggies and seared tofu. Serve with your favorite soup or salad.
Perfectly ripe, flavorful tomatoes are a must-have for this dish. In winter months we use cocktail tomatoes instead of full-sized ones; they’re far superior in taste and texture. We also use spinach in place of regular lettuce. Yum and yum.