It’s a fact of life that kids love french fries. Okay, us adults like them too, and when they’re made from sweet potatoes in lieu of traditional white spuds, I get a little weak in the knees. Jazz them up with mildly spicy Cajun seasoning and a creamy curry dipping sauce and there’s no turning back. We served these oven-baked fries with raw veggie sticks (think red peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, broccoli, etc.) and crispy tofu fingers. The yogurt sauce was great for dipping everything and a healthier alternative to sour cream and mayonnaise-based dips.
Serves 2 adults and 1 toddler
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, washed and cut into fries
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 pinch each cayenne and chili powder (consider using one, the other, or neither if your kid is averse to spicy things)
- Tons of fresh cracked pepper and salt to taste
- 1 cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Wash and chop your sweet potatoes then place them in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss to coat. Mix the paprika, onion powder, cayenne, chili powder, salt and pepper together then toss with the sweet potato sticks. Arrange the fries onto 2 baking sheets so that they aren’t touching – this will help them crisp up. Bake for 30 minutes, tossing half way through.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, curry powder, onion powder, lemon juice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Serve with your favorite main course and veggies – enjoy!